Statistics show that 8% of people who make New Year resolutions actually keep them. Interesting right! So why do the majority of us assume that just because a date on the calendar changes that we will too! Magically. Like Cinderella or something lol.
So what does it take to make a resolution stick, or for that matter any goal? Here are 5 major tips on how to set goals and stick to them.
1. Set Goals That Are S. M.A. R.T
- (S) Specific
- (M) Measurable
- (A) Achievable/ realistic
- (R) Relevant
- (T) Time Specific
Don’t set goals that are vague. Be clear, specific, concise and realistic with your goals. It’s okay to aim high, but make sure you have a practical latter of steps to climb to get there. By doing that you will feel better about every rung of accomplishment you reach, motivating you to continue to pursue that ultimate goal.
2. Make It Visual
- Write your goals down! Don’t keep the Picasso of your dreams stored up in your head where only you can see them. By creating a vision board, or a list on paper it holds you accountable to what you envisioned yourself accomplishing. Put it out there and get out of your head! It’s not real until it is on paper.
3. Make Sure the Are Authentic
- When accessing what you want your next goal/ achievement to be make sure it is based off of your own, intrinsic, genuine desire and not someone else’s. “Comparison is the thief of joy,” and if you base YOUR goals off of someone else’s life achievements you won’t keep them and most importantly you will not fill sincerely fulfilled because they were not authentic. Se goals that are true to who you are, your capabilities and your dreams. No one can do things like you so don’t try to achieve for anyone else but yourself.
4. Schedule Time
- Your life schedule does not care about that goal to go to the gym every morning, to eat healthier or to read 5 new books this year. It does not care that the clock struck midnight on Jan 1, 2018 and it’s a new year. Life & time will keep ticking as planned if you are not deliberate in scheduling time for your goals. Your goals are not when you feel like it or when it is convenient. Goals interrupt your comfortable routine and assert themselves! They step in front to your Netflix program, wake you up from out of your sleep and say “hi, I am here!” So BLOCK OUT THE TIME! You have to set a new schedule that will accommodate these new found smart goals that you have and give them the opportunity to manifest. If you don’t they will remain just another nice idea. You can do this. I believe in you.
5. Celebrate the Small Wins
- Setting goals are easy but keeping them are hard. So celebrate the little victories you have along the way even if you slip up a time or two. Doing so keeps you encouraged and motivated to keep pursing that thing you want! So make sure you pat your self on the back through out the process. Don’t get complacent though, go after that thing! However make sure you become your biggest cheerleader especially when no one else is clapping along with you.
Scroll to the bottom for fashion details. Xo!
Skirt: Ann Taylor
Bag: Street Level